About Me

Diagnosed at the age of 46, in July 2009 with stage IIc ovarian cancer , following a total hysterectomy and oopherectomy and having completed six cycles of chemotherapy, life now has to return to normality!

Tuesday 4 May 2010

Turning over the Page



Catching up on my mundane tasks today - I turned over the calendar page from April to May - to be reminded I have to do my bloods at the end of the month in time for my next, that is second, three month check on 8 June.  I knew it was on it's way, I still think about having cancer a lot, but.... I've started to worry wart already about the numbers and that I'm still so close to the cliff edge and I hate it.  I can't ever see me not getting into a panic about these checks and suddenly every little twinge, ache and pain reminds me of how I was feeling this time last year before I was diagnosed - talk about psychosomatic!  I'm sitting here giving myself a pep talk about how much better I feel and look than 12 months ago.  Yesterday, we walked for 3 hours, had some lunch, came home and I did some quite heavy jobs that would have defeated me last year or even a couple of months ago.  Yet...... this ovca is such a sneaky little bugger I still haven't got to grips with it.  It's so hard this bit, I don't like to  talk to my beloved about this because he hates to see me unhappy or upset and he's been through so much.  He wants us to move on and be sure as sure it isn't going to come back, so I keep it in and let it bounce around my head until I can't stand it anymore and I have to tell him how crap I feel.  I now understand so much more what The Scream is trying to say.

   
It's the silent terror of the unknown.  I don't let myself have too many cancer down days because I am lucky to be here and I want to be here, I have no intention of going anywhere just yet but occasionally like today it's back as number one on the agenda.

I'm going to get busy and turn some batter into some cake, put on some funky music and dance myself happy.  

1 comment:

  1. hello! thank you SO much for your donation! How kind! :o) It took me a little while to find you.

    Really, the check ups get easier. It takes a while. It's taken me since my last chemo in August 2008 until NOW to not freak out at least a week before. Now I manage to be relatively civil to everyone [well, mostly], it's the day before that I am rather demented. But even that's not as bad as it was.

    And I think you never 'get over' cancer and move on - you get on TOP of it and move on. It's hard. But we can do it.

    I hope you have a busy month, and everything will go well. :o)
    x

    ReplyDelete